Sunday, February 05, 2006

Two more reasons to homeschool

(Republished from Feb 3rd due to blogger issues)

The children and I had leftover Victoria Sponge for breakfast this morning. A Victoria Sponge is simply a sponge cake with jam and whipped cream between the layers, and sprinkled with powdered sugar --- sort of what a Twinkie aspires, and sadly fails, to be. We'd had it for dessert last night, and it was a treat, but eating it cold from the fridge for breakfast elevated it to heavenly bliss. I am not exaggerating -- it really was that good! If the children weren't homeschooled, I'd never have been able to serve them cake for breakfast, because that would turn out to be the day the teacher had them draw a picture or write about their breakfast for a lesson on nutrition. I'd be marked, in the teacher's mind, as one of the problem parents. Except I would probably already have been. As a student, and even up into my mid 20's, I used to fantasize about being the difficult parent. I imagined whole conversations with teachers in which I exposed their meaness and injustice with cutting wit, leaving them gibbering like the fools I knew they would be. I guess I was a little bitter. Anyway, we had cake for breakfast, followed by an hour of math before I realized that the sun was shining. I cancelled the rest of our work and sent the children outside. It is, after all, February -- the weather could turn nasty at any moment. Two more reasons to homeschool: cake for breakfast and sunny warm days in February.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home